Monday, October 23, 2006

A Truth Revealed By YouTube



I just visited my dear friend Elizabeth's blog and saw this YouTube video which got me thinking about where I am in my relationship with the Lord. What do I do in the storm? Where do I get my shelter? Sadly the truth is that I have stopped looking for shelter. You see, for quite a while it has seemed that I have found comfort and shelter under an umbrella, yet just as I start to get dry under that umbrella I find a puddle, and I find that I am engulfed in the storm once again. So, several puddles later I find myself avoiding the umbrella all together. I no longer trust the umbrella to protect. I trust the storm.

Forgive me Father for avoiding you. I have trusted my circumstances more than I have trusted you. You have proven yourself over and over again, to be gentle, loving, and protective yet I have allowed the lack of change in my situation to convince me that you don't really care. You are bigger than any storm I may encounter and I will trust you to protect me, to care for me, to love me. Thank you Lord for opening my eyes to the condition of my heart.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hey Heather...thanks so much for sharing this. As I was reading it I was thinking about how sometimes we begin to find our identity in our storm, rather than identfying ourselves by who we are in Christ. I think that maybe puddle jumping is sometimes safer...we're comfortable when we're wet, because that's what we know, what we're used to. But I think that stepping under His shelter involves examining exactly who we are in Him, as opposed to who we are according to our stormy circumstances. What do you think?

And..when do you want to get together? I'm home tomorrow and Friday afternoon. When do you work?

Heather said...

I just got home from spending some time with Josette, and as we were talking about all of this "storm" stuff she pointed out that God doesn't always promise to keep us completely protected - invulnerable to the storm. He does however promise that He will "never leave us or forsake us". Therefore we can't count on staying completely dry in a storm, we can however depend on Him to walk beside us through the storm. That in and of itself is a great comfort!!

I guess knowing that He is beside us no matter how bad the storm may appear and taking comfort in that fact is knowing our identity in Him. What I mean is if I'm out in a bad storm and a complete stranger is near me I really won't find any comfort in that, I may in fact be more concerned because there is now another unknown threat around me. If, during that same storm, my husband or my dad or someone else that I trust is near me I'm going to feel MUCH safer. The storm has not changed at all, the difference is that I now have someone to talk to about my fears and concerns, I have another set of eyes to look out for dangers.

I didn't mean to ramble for so long, but thanks for reading my ramblings!